Rental properties are one of the largest growing markets in real estate across the county, and especially here in central Florida. The landlord-tenant relationship is unique and can be beneficial and friendly, or can have many unpleasant disputes.
At Swiren Law Firm, P.A., you will receive the benefit of more than 50 years of hands-on, personalized experience in complex real estate concerns. We will educate you on your rights as a landlord or tenant, and provide guidance to the best path to a resolution that works for your issue.
Rights Involved With Renting
We have found that as renting has become more and more common, people have gaps in their understanding of the essential rights both parties have. We want to help alleviate some of that trouble so you can know what questions to ask when you speak with us.
When you are renting, you:
- Cannot be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status or handicap
- Have the right to a “habitable home,” meaning your rental should be safe, without structural or hazardous conditions and infestation-free
- Must receive notice to terminate your tenancy, with time limits that depend on the type of lease you have
- Are free from retaliation should you exercise any of your rights as a tenant
As a tenant, you can be in a vulnerable position, but these rights and others are here to protect you.
The landlord-tenant relationship is, at its basis, a financial one. As a landlord, you have the right to:
- Receive payment
- Protect your property
- Begin eviction procedures if a tenant ceases paying rent
- Begin eviction procedures if a tenant breaks the law
- Begin eviction procedures if a tenant violates the legal terms of the lease
Although tenants are legally protected in some regards, you also have rights to protect yourself financially. We can help you do this if an issue with a tenant arises.
Learn More In A Free Consultation With A Lawyer
We are here to help you understand where you stand. Contact our office in Orlando today by calling 407-287-5137 or through this email form.